Friday, February 18, 2011

The Hangover

We had decided after a couple hours into our night to stumble back to my apartment, as Brenda was sharing a paper-thin walled apartment with Robin and I most likely we were unintentionally being obnoxious loud drunkards! Brenda had invited Robin and I to join her early the next morning to go visit Nagoya castle. This was not happening, we realized quite early in the night so we attempted to write a legible note to leave behind. The sun was just peaking when I faintly remember Robin saying she should go back to her apartment and crash. I immediately collapsed on my futon and didn't arise for several hours. I tossed and turned and cursed the sunlight breaking through my curtains. If I ever knew how it would feel to be a vampire it was now-as the sun burned through my eyes and I attempted with as little movement as possible, as my stomach was on edge, to shield myself from it's beaming glare.
The vampire-like state of waking
up to the sun with one helluva hangover!


It was past 4pm and the guilt about not making contact with my new friends was surpassing my troublesome stomach. I splashed some water on my face and dared to face the outdoors. The humidity punched me in the stomach so hard, I had to run back to my apartment to vomit. This liquor had kicked my ass and I was in pieces because of it! Why oh why I continued to lecture myself in my head. OK attempt number two. I braced myself as I walked out in the boiling sun (hangovers and hot weather are an even worse combination). I clung to the hand bars and very slowly made my way down the staircase. I managed to get to the parking lot and made my way over to there building, next to mine. The trek seemed like a "Lord of the Rings" journey, although it was a mere minute from my door. My stomach was still doing somersaults, I apprehensively looked up at the three flights of stairs to climb. One foot in front of the other. I knew the quest towards maintaining friendships was worth this, but oh how my body hated me that day!

What the staircase ahead of me looked like in my state.

No comments:

Post a Comment