Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Shinkansen Experience Pt 2

I did manage to make it to the Shinkansen ticket office, without the experience of a groping (one I wouldn't mind not having a cultural taste of). I scrambled up to the ticket clerk and panicked, as I was reaching for my ticket I realized, that tiny ticket, worth about 12 dollars, was no longer in my possession. The clerk sat there patiently, as I unzipped every pocket in my purse and checked over my pockets several times, while muttering to myself how I knew it was in there. I managed to muddle some faint resemblance to Japanese something like, "I'm sorry, no ticket, bought Shin Osaka station." She tightly smiled and nodded. I felt like such a chump, as I  have read up on some travelers advice websites to just say "lost my ticket" (even though no ticket was bought) and they will likely let you (a foreigner) get away with it.  I was starting to perspire trying to figure out how to tell her I could buy the ticket again from the station by my hostel, but managing only to say it in very slow, enunciated English. She still sat there with the polite smile, nodding, judging, which made me even more nervous. I'm not really sure what happened and how I ended up communicating with her, but it ended up being quite an awkward five minutes. I told her where I was going and she printed off a ticket, I paid my fare and bolted. It's unbelievably rare for me to start sweating because I'm nervous in a situation, and maybe it was my bag that I was carrying that weighed as much as me, or the humid temperature, but I knew it had to be partially because of that smiling, poised Japanese woman. Reflecting back on it, I'm one of those people that really detests clowns, the fake smile and jubilant persona puts me on edge (and perhaps because I watched the movie "IT" when I was younger). This lady had, not as exaggerated as a clown, a level of phoniness, that could not be denied. I know she was cursing me under her breath, another cheap foreigner trying to break the rules, but smiled and thanked me just the same. It made me feel like such a boob.

I tried not to despair and to keep my head up. I was going to jump on board on of the fastest trains in existence! The infamous bullet train (the theme music to  St. Elmo's Fire was starting)! Speed records have been broken and competition between the train and airlines often occur, getting the passenger there in the fastest, most comfortable way.  One of the bullet trains (also known as the Shinkansen...apologies for the late clarification) broke the current speed record, by breaking 443.0 km/hr (275mph)! Nothing compared to an airplane, but once you take out the hassle of security and boarding-the Shinkansen is a step above! If you do get a chance to be in Japan, I highly recommend trying out the Shinkansen and enjoying the best transportation system in the world (no sarcasm intended)!

I had booked an unreserved fare, so I did not have an assigned seat, but did save myself about $50.  To my surprise, a Wednesday 11:30 morning train, was packed (I must have a gold fish memory)! I walked down the cart aisles and found a middle seat free in between a skinny Japanese woman and a suited businessman. I haphazardly attempted to lift my enormous bag, to fit it in the shelf above and to my rescue a nice Japanese fellow, maybe a few inches taller than me, began to help me push. "Arigato" I said, as he bowed to me. I was sweaty and disgusting, even from being out of my hostel shower just over an hour ago. The Japanese woman beside me had a neatly packed Bento box and she so delicately opened it up and ate it  cautiously, putting her hand up to her mouth every time she chewed, as if she was scared of offending people by her inaudible chewing noises. I scrummaged to find a half melted chocolate bar in my carry on bag and attempted to mimic her graceful style, but ended up looking like a goof in comparison chocolate most likely having melted all over my face. I tried to relax. I did have about two hours before reaching Nagoya. I found it hard to relax though. The few quick stops that did occur, I felt I had to listen several times and wait for the English to appear. I continually double check myself so I didn't get off at the wrong station and end up in a completely different city stranded.

My employer had sent me a letter, stating I needed to be in Nagoya at this date and time. I would have to make my way to the Head Office (in the middle of nowhere) to check in. Also provided was a shady hand draw map to "help" me get there. I was put off about the situation and lack of help from them, but also felt slightly anxious about how I could ever pull off a 'good impression' with my ginormous bag, sweat stains and probable stench. But I didn't really have much of a choice. I wondered how all the other English teachers were in making there way through the maze of Japan, but I soon found out I was the only one.

Japanese version of Shinkansen
One of the Shinkansen trains

No comments:

Post a Comment