Monday, June 20, 2011

The 'Real Deal' pt.2

The train stops I get off and take a look at my walking instructions, which are way more confusing and poorly written or hand drawn. Take a left out of the station (ok...but which exit?), walk for 500 meters (does anyone actually know what 500 meters is in walking distance?!), turn at the sign with the big yellow writing on it (seriously?) keep walking until you see a set of mailboxes and the classroom will be on the third level, past the barber shop (WTF?!)! Included on the shaddy two page bit of paper also had a code and a vague description of where a key box would be and how it worked to open it, which took me 15 minutes to find and another 5 minutes to open it. I started fuming! No wonder people need to get there 5 hours early because no one knows where there going! This had to be some sort of "Truman Show" experiment. I kept my eye out for the hidden cameras but found none.
I swear I was on a version of "The Truman Show" after the ridiculous trek I had to complete to get to this
classroom.

I finally walked up the narrow rusty metal stairs  and opened the door to find something quite unlike any other classroom I'd ever seen...

It was the most horrible classroom (and if you recall from my early writings I've actually went to school in Yemen)!! The carpet was stained, it smelt, the bathroom was dirty, the walls were worn down and attempted to be masked by a massive overkill of happy English animal or cartoons stapled to it. How could any parent actually drop off there child here and expect a good English education, when this was the environment we were teaching in?! I felt that I had entered into a cesspool orgy of germs and god-knows what else and was already feeling the effects. It was so hot and I turned on the A/C and a gust of dust smoked my right in the face. As I coughed and ran to the bathroom to get a drink-a large sign posted above it said "DO NOT DRINK WATER." Ah I can just imagine what state the water system is in! I opened up all the windows but the stink remained. I was far beyond annoyed after the atrocious attempt by the company to safely and effectively guide me to the classroom and then have me in a worse than third world classroom to teach in! The clock ticked on and I tried to relax and forget about the situation I had willingly put myself in. The time was nearing the observing teacher and children should be here any minute. My heart starts to beat faster and I try to mentally prepare myself but never could I have imagined what events were to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment