Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Deadly Shochu and It's Reaction To Foreigner's Tongues

Robin and I had discussed beforehand, how much a typical night of getting ourselves foolishly drunk would amount to, and settled on about 6-8 beers as a general ball park. We had obviously done some partying in our time to be able to amount to this, and neither of us being of a she-male statue, we could generally impress the general public with our ability to hold our liquor. Robin seemed to be doing better than I at handling our drinks this time-but we both noticed the drastic change of how the alcohol was affecting us. About midway through my second drink, I was starting to feel quite tipsy. I had eaten a whole lot, so knew it couldn't be blamed on this. I also didn't have exhaustion or a substantial time difference playing into the calculation either. This alcohol, shochu we found out as the night went on, was powerful stuff!
Shochu in it's varieties

Shochu is an alcoholic beverage that is usually distilled from barley, sweet potatoes or rice. It only amounts to 25% alcohol-so seems like a safer liquor, but oh so wrong! This liquor, as it is quite uncommon to be found outside of Asia, is a whole other category for what had been put in my body up to this point. I'm not sure what it was specifically, but all the other foreigners that I have spoken to have the same reaction-shochu is dangerous! It replaces, the hard to find tequila here, but in my books are quite on par with one another. Maybe this was Japan's answer to the common,"Asian Flush Reaction" many are teased about abroad, to create "Foreigner Excelled Drunkenness Reaction" in retort with this drink!

Lindsay Lohen must be drinking Shochu this time around!
Best drunk picture I've seen so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment