Saturday, February 19, 2011

"How to cure a hangover" SOLVED!

After putting all my effort into climbing those never ending stairs. I rang the door bell. Robin answered looking tired, but much better put together than I. I took off my shoes and the first thing I said to her was, "I need your toilet, I'm going to be sick!" She kind of chuckled, thinking I was joking, but I pushed past her and she soon realized it was no joke. I'm not sure how she survived the last night-but I was hanging by a thread. I came out of the bathroom my head hung shamefully. All that effort with the stairs and now I had just made another bad impression of myself! Brenda must have received the note, as she was long gone and we momentarily thought about trekking down to find them (although none of us had a phone) but then my stomach and head started reminding me of last nights endeavor. Usually when I have a hangover, my pimply teenager side takes over and I seclude myself to my pitch dark room, answering to no one, until I've recovered. I think this was the most effort I had put in a long time to try to fight my hangover. We plunked down in front of Robin's laptop and watched "Youth in Revolt."  Robin had heard that a drink called "Pocari Sweat" (appetizing name, I know) that worked wonders and she had the energy to go back to the now cursed convenience store to get some. When I came back and drank that boy did I feel better! What is is this miraculous stuff?! It was better than anything I had ever tried in my several years of experience, in trying to solve the age old question, "How to cure a hangover!?"

Pocari Sweat-The Cure to My Hangovers!
The Japanese people prepare for everything! There is a whole section, usually located at the front of the store closest to the door, probably for the strangling hung-over drunk people, that is full of hangover cures. About twenty different selections of drinks or pills, that some people swear by, to prevent or cure a hangover after a night out. Amazing! Many aspects of the Japanese culture embraces binge drinking. Many festivals are based around 'being off your head drunk' to participate, such as the Sakura (Cherry Blossom) season. Japanese families or friends sit under a Sakura tree, with a basket of food and a cooler of booze and won't leave until it's empty! My brother who lived in Niihama, said there was a festival where parents got wasted and watched there kids, in knee-high water trying to catch slippery eels! Part of the Japanese salaryman's job is to socialize after work with colleagues, which usually constitutes becoming, rip-roaring drunk! Of course the Japanese scientists had to work hard and find a solution for these respectable holidays and work purposes, to be celebrated the one night and resolved for the next day!

As you can see it's all quite scientific, the 'Constituents of sweat'!

*This blog is dedicated to my appreciation of Pocari Sweat, I don't know how to thank you enough!

1 comment: