Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Dunder Mifflin's paper success in Japan

We slipped off our (luckily clean) toilet slippers after dabbing ourselves down with bathroom tissue, to appear half decent for our employer. We bravely walked out one by one and entered into the training room. There were several others already present sitting at their assigned two-person desks. It felt like school again there were several desks and the girls and I almost rock-scissor-papered to find out who would sit with one another but we held back our childish ways and sat at the back tables. There was a pile of papers on our desks, just what I wanted more paper work (there seems to be an unlimited amount of paper supply here-as no question goes without being typed up neatly and needing to be answered on a sheet of paper)! Dunder Mifflin company stocks would sky rocket, if there fictional business were ran out of Japan!
Dunder Mifflin needn't struggle in Japan with
such an enormous paper demand.
The training came and went like a blur. The standards were covered, contracts, human resources policies, health and safety................................oops sorry dozed off there for a second re-encountering that day again. It was quite dull material, the stuff that's mandatory to cover with any workplace, but man is it work to sit there and keep your eyes open. Our trainer was an enthusiastic short, skinny, wide- grinned man with beady little eyes. If Internet was our drug, then our trainers was this company-except he never crashed from withdrawal! I watched, as I once did at school, the clock tick-tick until the minute hand hit 5:00pm! I practically jumped from my desk and was already packed and ready to go. I looked around as I was walking to the door to the others slowly packing up, making small chat with one another and I froze at the door, remembering I needed to be in adult mode now and make good impressions and all that jazz. I waited for the others as we put back on our shoes. We chatted with a couple of the other girls, one of which was the Daisy we had been calling out for. All of us were exhausted from the day so said we'd reconvene later for a possible late dinner.

On the walk home, Robin, Merran and I discussed how we were going to hunt down cheaper Internet after dinner. Merran and I the night before had tried every nook and cranny in our apartment to try to pick up an unlocked signal with out laptops. It was so desperately pathetic, both of us running around our flat holding our laptops calling out to each other, when we thought we'd catch a signal for a minute and lose it the next minute. It was driving Merran and I mad!

We ate our food as if we were competing for an eating competition and then set out with our laptops in hand to find Internet. Once again, we decided to hop on the train and once we left the ticket gates, before us was a sign with a computer and a wifi signal. YES! We all shouted in unison! Being the Internet addicts we were, we decided it was not weird to sit down by the sign and try out if it worked. Robin screamed "It works, it works!" Merran and I quickly loaded our Macs and sat there patiently trying to connect, but ours weren't working! Robin got on skype and was talking to a friend about how we were sitting in the middle of a train station, having tons of people giving us strange looks, with our three laptops open either standing or trying to share the one seat. Merran and I waited for Robin, my envious look burning into her PC and making me regret, just for a millisecond, my choice to get a Mac. Robin kindly lent me her wifi connected computer, as I'm sure I had the look of a person who had lost all hope.
Just before Merran took her turn, I looked up and pointed, "Look!"


1 comment:

  1. Omgosh, your description of our trainer cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete